Well homemade dog treats is kind of misleading. These dog treats are made out of chicken feet. Wait, let me correct that, they ARE chicken feet. Just dehydrated.
Should I change the title of the post? I mean, they are homemade and they are the perfect treat for dogs.
Ah F it. Homemade dog treats it is.
If y’all didn’t read the last post about our chickens, take a gander. We unfortunately had to get rid of our chickens sooner than expected. These ladies were our first major step towards our homesteading journey and our intention was to love them, allow them to be chickens and then they would provide us with food at the end of their production.
The time had come and even though we tried to chicken out, literally, we stuck to our intention and butchered our first chickens. A more in-depth post on our experience is coming soon I promise. It was nothing like we expected. It was harder than we ever imagined.
But let’s get on with our dog treats shall we. Unfortunately, the only salvageable part of our butchered chickens were their feet. Again, a more in-depth post will come soon.
Their feet, being the only thing we were able to save, were dehydrated and made into perfect dog treats for our pup Angus.
Do you want to start a homestead?
Download our eBook and learn 15 easy skills that will get you 15 steps closer to your dream of homesteading.
Download Your eBook
It was super simple to. Ready to hear how to do it?
All you need:
All you do is:
- Soak chicken feet in a bowl of water over night. This helps get all the dirt off their feet.
- After soaking run under water and scrub feet with a bristle brush. Using soap is not necessary. Be sure to scrub off as much dirt as possible.
- Next, you want to clip off their nails.
- Bust out that dehydrator of yours and lay the feet on a tray.
- Now, turn that bad boy on and let it go for about 24-48 hours. Or until they become super crispy. You will know they are ready when you try to bend a toe back and it breaks off without bending. If it bends, even a little, let it keep going. I think ours actually took about 3 days.
***Small tip, plug the dehydrator in the garage if available. Not like the dehydrator is super loud but it can be annoying to listen to after about an hour. In the garage, it’s away doing its bad boy thing.
That is is y’all. Super easy and your pup gets insanely delicious healthy treats.
This post contains affiliate links. That means if you purchase an item through the link we provide, we receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. We appreciate your support.