Let’s freeze them sweet potatoes shall we.
We, aka my husband, harvested our purple sweet potatoes recently and we ended up with more than we expected.
Unfortunately, we don’t have a basement or a cellar that we can store these bad boys in so, I had to get creative.
First thought was, let’s can these beauties.
Then I did some research and found that while canning sweet potatoes was definitely an option, the only real way to use them after they were canned would be to mash them up.
Sweet potatoes are already a softer potato than let’s say russets or red potatoes. And because we MUST can them in a pressure canner for a specific amount of time, which is 60 minutes for pints and 90 for quarts, it produces a very soft well cooked potato.
This just wasn’t gonna work.
We love to eat our purple sweet potatoes for breakfast mixed with bell pepper and onions and garlic. So……..
Second thought, let’s freezes these little suckers.
This method was slightly time consuming but well worth it. We have our potatoes ready whenever we like and have more options when cooking them, then just mashed potatoes.
This process requires cooking the potatoes just before they are done, so it does take a bit of time to complete. Make a plan to spend some well worth it time in that lovely kitchen of yours. Y’all ready to get cookin’ and freezin’?
How to freeze sweet potato
Things you need:
Steamer basket or you can use a pressure cooker, if that tickles your fancy.
- Wash your potatoes well.
- Fill your pot with a few inches of water and turn on high heat. Place your steamer basket inside.
- Put your potatoes inside your pot and cover.
- Cook for about 15 minutes or until potatoes are just cooked.
- Allow them to cool. Take your spoon and gently scrap the peel off the potatoes.
- Then cut potatoes into desired size and place on cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Place your tray in the freezer for 20-30 minutes.
- Remove tray from freezer and place in a labeled freezer bag or container of your choice.
- That’s it y’all!
How to use frozen sweet potatoes
Use your potatoes just like you would store bought frozen potatoes.
We like to heat them up in a skillet with some bacon grease. Then we caramelize some onions and some red and yellow bell peppers. Mmm it’s delicious.
Hope y’all enjoy your harvest.
Don’t forget to check out our sweet potato baby food recipe.